Waste Services of the Bluegrass is committed to protecting the environment. Toward that end, we support recycling efforts and accept a wide variety of recyclable materials. Unfortunately, not everything can be recycled at the facility we have our materials processed at. Below is a list of materials accepted at the Lexington Recycling Center.
- Paper Products: boxboard, newspaper and inserts, magazines, phone books, office and school papers, catalogs, brown paper bags, etc.
- Dry Cardboard
- Aluminum Cans
- Aerosol Cans (empty)
- Packaging intended for the refrigerator or freezer: soft drink cases, frozen-food boxes, etc.
- Steel Food Cans (Please rinse. Labels can stay on.)
- Plastic Bottles and Jugs (#1 & #2)
- Glass Bottles and Jars (Colored and clear.)
The following items are common contaminants to that get placed in recycling containers and are not accepted at Lexington’s recycling center where we take recyclables for processing. Please throw them away in your trash cart or trash container. These items include:
- Pyrex or plate glass
- Styrofoam containers
- Clamshell packaging
- Disposable cups, hot or cold
- Wrapping and tissue paper
Some items can damage equipment at the Lexington Recycling Center where we take recycling materials. Avoid putting the following items in your recycling cart or recycling containers. This will help keep the recycling center running safely and efficiently. Please throw them away in your trash cart or trash container. These items include:
- Plastic bags, wrap and film
- Bungee cords
- Christmas lights